Following the recent developments across the globe, MSVR has received a number of queries related to Coronavirus and how it might affect our race meetings.
We are closely monitoring the situation, however our view is that it is unlikely that there will be any form of government requirement to suspend club racing, given the small spectator numbers. This has been supported by government statements that there is no need to postpone or cancel open air sporting events as things stand, with evidence suggesting that they are not a major contributory factor in the spread of viruses. Clearly club meetings must be appropriately resourced with officials, marshals and medics and we are doing everything possible to ensure necessary availability.
In line with latest guidance from Motorsport UK, we will also introduce the following measures to minimise the risk of infection and to reassure all participants, volunteers and officials:
- We will ensure that elevated standards of hygiene are adopted, with plentiful access to hand sanitisers in common areas and with particular emphasis during signing-on
- Public Health posters on Coronavirus will be displayed prominently
- Any briefings that take place will either be conducted in an external environment or in a well-ventilated, spacious indoor facility
- We will take steps to minimise the number of people congregating in close proximity and provide digital distribution of briefings and supporting documentation where possible
- Commonly used surfaces and other high-contact points will be wiped down and disinfected regularly
- The public will not be permitted to join any podium ceremonies – only media
- We will vet entry forms to ensure no person is coming from an affected area outlined in the current HSE guidelines, and would encourage all organisers to apply the same approach
- All event programmes will include a reference page to the COVID-19 virus, so that spectators are made aware of their responsibilities
If someone is already at the event and feels unwell with any symptoms, however mild, unless they need immediate medical attention they should return home and self-isolate for 7 days.
We agree with Motorsport UK that, through the adoption of a series of practical measures and by following government advice, club-level events can continue with minimal disruption.
These are clearly challenging times for everyone involved. Your cooperation and understanding is much appreciated. Please keep an eye on the MSVR website and the club’s social channels for the latest updates as the situation evolves.