Toby Sowery claimed a dominant pole position for round seven of
the 2014 F3 Cup championship at Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium, over
three and a half seconds clear of title rival Tristan Cliffe.
Carlin's Peter Li Zhi Cong, running a newer Dallara F308 in the
Invitational Class, beat Sowery to the outright pole, although it
looked as though that too was Sowery's. But, the Chinese British F3
racer denied him by just 0.077s with his final flyer.
Following a red flag for a crashed Monoposto, Sowery was the
first to dip below the 2:21s mark. And when Li joined him in the
2:20s, it was Sowery who remained quickest. Li improved again, and
Sowery's own improvement wasn't quite enough to secure what would
have been a landmark result.
BRDC F4 racer Struan Moore is also running in the Invitational
Class and will line up third on the grid for Lanan Racing as the
only other driver under 2:21s.
In the other points-chasing, and Sowery-chasing, cars, Tristan
Cliffe left it late to move up the order, jumping up to second in
class and fourth on the grid with his penultimate lap to demote Lee
Morgan to third.
Oliver Rae's impressive speed continues, and the Enigma
Motorsport Trophy 01 Class leader lines up sixth on the grid
alongside Morgan. Tony Bishop improved late on and starts seventh
on the grid and fourth in class while championship-returnee Robbie
Watts beat Mark Harrison to claim fifth in the Cup 07 Class. Stuart
Wiltshire's final lap fell agonisingly short of moving him into the
top six in class by just a few hundreths of a second.
James Ledamun, another returning to take on the iconic circuit,
completes the grid.
A second qualifying takes place later today at 13:15 local time
to decide the order of Sunday's (29 June) round eight.
Round seven takes place at 11:45 local time on Saturday 28
- Li Zhi Cong (Invitational Class) - Carlin Racing -
- Toby Sowery (Cup 07 Class) - Lanan Racing - +0.077s
- Struan Moore (Invitational Class) - Lanan Racing - +1.272s
- Tristan Cliffe (Cup 07 Class) - Omicron Motorsport -
- Lee Morgan - (Cup 07 Class) - Grays Motorsport - +5.064s
- Oliver Rae - (Trophy 01 Class) - Enigma Motorsport -
- Tony Bishop - (Cup 07 Class) - Chris Dittmann Racing -
- Robbie Watts - (Cup 07 Class) - Raw Power Motorsport -
- Mark Harrison - (Cup 07 Class) - Omicron Motorsport -
- Stuart Wiltshire - (Cup 07 Class) - Gale Force Racing -
- James Ledamun - (Trophy 01 Class) - TRS - +15.774s
View the full result