29/05/2011 - The Lola T70 of Leo Voyazides and Simon Hadfield
has secured pole position for today's World Sportscar Masters race
at the MSVR organised Masters Historic Festival at Brands
Voyazides set a time of 1:34.955s with five minutes remaining to
fight off the advances of the similar machine of Steve Tandy, who
qualified second, 0.795s behind.
The pair battled for supremacy throughout the half-hour session,
Voyazides constantly figuring at the top of the times. Tandy
regularly improved, only for Voyazides to stretch the gap back out
Eventually a header pipe blew on Tandy's car, forcing him to pull
into the pits with a minute remaining.
Philip Hall qualified third despite suffering an accident at
Paddock Hill Bend half way through the session in his 1971 Lola
T212. His time remained unbeaten by the runners behind him, but
damage sustained in the shunt means he is a doubt for the race
later today. He was also the fastest runner in the Marko class for
open sports prototypes.
Shaun Lynn made it three Lola T70s in the top four, with the
fourth best time, only four hundredths of a second behind Hall,
while Roger Wills driving a McLaren M1B had to settle for fifth on
the grid after encountering oil problems during the session. Wills
was the fastest qualifier in the Hulme Pre-1966 Sports Prototypes
and GT Class.
World Sportscar Masters qualifying result:
1. Leo Voyazides/Simon Hadfield, Lola T70 Mk3B, 1:34.955s
2. Steve Tandy, Lola T70 Mk3B, +0.795s
3. Philip Hall, Lola T212, +2.748s
4. Shaun Lynn, Lola T70 Mk3B, +2.790s
5. Roger Wills, McLaren M1B, +2.999s
6. Frank Lyons/Michael Lyons, Lola T70, +3.029s
7. Martin Angle/Hugh Angle, Chevron B16, +3.760s
8. Roberto Farneti, Chevron B16, +3.990s
9. Andrew Middleton, Taydec MK3, +4.122s
10. Justin Maeers, Lola T70 Mk3B, +4.362s
The first World Sportscar Masters race of the weekend takes place
at 16.30 today (Saturday).
To download more information on the MSVR organised event
including the timetable and list of entries please CLICK HERE.